QCNA REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS: SELECTION POLICY
TEAM AND PLAYER SELECTION POLICY
Queensland Catholic Netball Association (QCNA) recognizes that representative netball can be a positive experience for all involved. QCNA aims to provide players with the opportunity to represent QCNA at a level suitable to their ability; to provide opportunities for players to progress through Brisbane North Netball Region and Netball Queensland’s development pathways and to enhance player enjoyment of the game. Through the selection of teams, QCNA aims to:
- Ensure all identified players are given equal opportunity to be considered for a team and provided with skill development opportunities to assist them to reach their full potential
- Provide suitable qualified coaches and appropriate back up staff
- Develop best practice management strategies in order to provide a safe environment for players and officials to effectively participate in netball
- TRIAL FORMAT
The allocated trial start time will be the time trial matches will begin. It is the players’ responsibility to register and warm up prior to the trials starting. Games will be approximately 10 minutes in length. Players will trial in their two (2) nominated positions. Every effort will be made to ensure all players (within each playing area) have equal court time. During the trials, the selectors will evaluate individual skill levels, fitness and team playing abilities of each player. The following aspects will also be considered: player combinations, attitude, leadership, communication, team dynamics and individual player characteristics.
- SELECTION PANEL
A selection panel consisting of up to three selectors will be appointed for each age group. Wherever possible the team coach will convene the selection panel at the relevant team trials. All selectors have equal voting rights during the selection process. However if the selectors are divided the head team coach has the final selection decision. Coaches not already on the Selection Panel may be invited by the selection panel to attend any discussion they may hold. Selector’s recommendations will be presented to the QCNA executive committee for final approval.
- QUALITIES FOR CONSIDERATION
There are a range of aspects to consider. One of the major criterions for selection will be based on the performance of the player at the appropriate trial. Further opportunities to be observed will be at our QCNA Summer Night Fixtures and Emerging Player Performance Program (EPPP). Selectors will also consider team balance where the best individual players may not provide the best team combination. A minimum of nine (9) players will be selected per team.
– Skill base and performance consistency
– Tactical understanding and decision making
– Flair and innovation
– Fitness and game intensity
– Potential and work ethic
– Discipline on and off the court
– Effective under pressure
– Versatility, consistency and adaptability
Consideration may be given to other factors that the selection panel considers in its sole discretion to be relevant and appropriate to the overall assessment of a particular player. These may include:
– Positional balance within squad
– Succession planning, talent development
– Balance of experience and youth in the group
– Whether a player’s performance and/or contribution has been affected by extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, bereavement, work/study commitments or similar which have temporarily compromised her form and/or recent contribution.
– Previous performance at representative level
Selectors must submit a list of selected squads/teams with reserves for each playing area to QCNA Executive Committee for approval prior to final selections being announced.
- PLAYER WITHDRAWALS
In the event of a player(s) withdrawing after selection:
- Prior to the commencement of the team training, selectors will consult the list of reserves and replace with the selected reserve(s) for the required playing area. If no player(s) of a suitable standard in the specific position vacated was identified at the original trials, selectors may invite a replacement player(s) of their choosing. This player(s) must be ratified by QCNA Executive Committee prior to any announcement being made.
- Due to injury during the season, the team coach will consult with the selection panel for a temporary/permanent replacement. The named reserves should be the first players considered but may not necessarily be selected. The team balance will determine the replacement. Once a player is withdrawn and replaced, they will be unable to participate unless a further position becomes available and a written medical clearance provided.
INJURY – Players are required to report any injuries that may restrict their ability to train or compete to their Coach or Manager. In the event of a player sustaining an injury that causes a player to miss training or playing, the player must provide a written clearance from a registered medical practitioner/physiotherapist prior to engaging in further activity. Players are encouraged to provide their Coach with an Injury Rehabilitation plan to assist with injury rehabilitation. Coaches may also request that a player complete a club game before returning to representative level netball. Within reason, injured players are expected to attend all training and games during their rehabilitation.
SICKNESS – Players are required to report any illness that may restrict their ability to train or play to their Coach or Manager. In some cases the player will be requested to provide a written clearance from their medical practitioner prior to engaging in further activity after illness. Coaches may also request that a player complete a club game before returning to representative level netball.
- NON-ATTENDANCE AT TRIALS
Players unable to attend trials for any reason will have their team selection based on availability of positions within the teams, information provided by the coach at the conclusion of the previous season and through consultations with the selectors, the coaches and QCNA Committee.
- The selectors have the discretion to allow the player to be considered for selection into the team. Communication of unavailability for trials must have been provided and approved.
- Written proof of the circumstances may be required in this situation.
- NAMING OF STATE AGE TEAMS/SQUADS
Squads will be named within two weeks of the final trial of all State Age, Challenge and Development teams.
Final Team placements will occur in 2019 following several weeks of Squad training.
This announcement will be communicated via the QCNA website: www.qcna.org.au
- DISPUTES PROCEDURES
Notwithstanding any of the provisions in this Policy, it is acknowledged that when applying the criteria and considerations set out above, there will be, at times, extremely difficult choices to be made which will require the Selection Panel to exercise its discretion and judgment. Providing the Selection Panel has properly considered the criteria and considerations set out in this Policy, and have exercised its discretion and judgment in good faith, then the Selection Panel will have fulfilled all of its obligations under this Policy. Players not selected in a team, may request in writing, feedback, by emailing email@example.com